Saturday, December 15, 2012

Antarctic Field Season Part I: South Shetland Islands, Eastern Antarctic Peninsula and Falkland Islands

Sailing route December 18 - 29, 2012
http://staging.oneoceanexpeditions.com/antarctic/itineraries.php#D
On December 18, 2012 I will board the Akademik Ioffe in Ushuaia, Argentina to set sail for the Antarctic Peninsula.  On this 11 day trip we will be sailing to the South Shetland Islands and then through the Antarctic Sound to visit penguin colonies throughout the eastern Antarctic Peninsula.  On Christmas day, we will turn north and sail to Port Stanley in the Falkland Islands.

During this trip we will visit Chinstrap penguin colonies in the South Shetland Islands and Adelie penguin colonies in the eastern Antarctic Peninsula.  A stop at Snow Hill will hopefully bring Emperor penguin sightings, of which I have only ever seen juvenile birds...fingers crossed for stragglers leaving the colony to spend their winter at sea!  In the Falkland Islands, we hope to see Rockhopper, Magellanic, and even King penguins, rounding out our adventure to visit the most regal of Antarctic birds.

As I travel, I will write more detailed accounts of our research activities on each island and the species of penguins that I encounter.  

Almost time to board my flight, next post from Ushuaia!


No comments:

Post a Comment